The Esbjerg Refuge is a safe house for women and children experiencing domestic abuse. We offer contemporary shelter, and safety is a priority. We do not accept drug and alcohol abuse.

You will get your own room for yourself to share with your children. Other spaces (the living room, kitchen, playroom and possibly the bathroom) will be shared with other refuge residents. The staff have special knowledge of violence and the consequences of violence.

You will be expected to look after your children by yourself.

    What to bring – if possible
  • Social security number
  • Passport
  • Marriage license
  • Credit card
  • NemID secure login
  • Medicine, if any
  • If you bring your children, remember to bring their personal papers, too And if possible you can also bring
  • Personal things, like photos and jewelry
  • Key to your house/apartment
  • Your children’s school bag
  • Your children’s favourite toy

How long can I stay?

The duration of your stay depends on your situation and your specific needs and can vary from a few days to several months. You can stay until you can move to your home in safety or move on to new accommodation.

What happens when I leave the refuge?

You can always call us for help and support. And you will be able to get help from an outreach community worker for up to 6 months after your stay. You can also take part in some of our social activities when you have left the refuge.

Life in the refuge

Trained staff will be in the refuge Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 22 p.m. and during the weekend from 9 a.m. to 22 p.m. You will also meet volunteers who will be able to help you with practical issues.
Our codes of conduct cover the day-to-day running of the house, including e.g. cleaning, cooking and bedtimes for children.
We have a daily rota with morning meetings and provide one-to-one support sessions including emotional support, parenting issues, benefit entitlement, debt advice, legal advice etc.
All children will be offered psychologist consultation and different leisure activities.


You pay for rent and food during your stay. If you pay rent elsewhere you only have to pay for the food.